Monday, January 7, 2013

An elephant made of silicon

Another unremarkable birthday went by a month ago and some of my friends thought I am a bit backward in the gadget race; they gifted me a coupon at an electronics store. In olden days, kings used to punish bad poets by gifting them elephants. The burden of feeding an elephant given by the king and the fear of being given an another one if they attempted poetry again was enough to save sensitive intellectual minds.

Scarce did I realize that I was buying an elephant when I encashed that coupon. This is how it all began: A merry party of three (of which two were already converts to the gadget religion) walked into an exclusive electronic showroom; result, a few minutes of blindness in one and temporary hypnotised brain control in the other two. Rows and rows of TVs, talking fridges, mobiles as good as tablets, tablets as good as laptops and laptops as good as supercomputers were all doing their best to take control of my brain.

Since I own a 'smart' phone (of course it never told me I will look stupid in a red raincoat when i asked), a laptop, an mp3 audio player and an mp4 video player, I was at a loss on what to buy. My ever helpful friends pointed out that a tablet will fill the gap I have between the 4 inches video player and 15 inches laptop and what more, it will fill my free palm.

After exploring iPads with retina eye and without and android tablets, I decided that my ordinary eye cannot see the difference between any of them and I just bought a handy budget tab. Little did I know that this flat unassuming piece of silicon can drive me nuts. First I needed to buy a cover which was half the price of the damn thing and then a screen guard, and then a 3G connection (you are apparently mad if you try to run a tab on ordinary 2G) and then they said my tab won't 'talk' to my laptop because it is out dated and I better change the OS or the laptop itself. My outdated laptop is still earning me a few lakhs a year while my new tab has only drained my money. So my laptop is staying (I think I heard it chuckle just now). As for the tab, at least I am becoming a professional temple runner.

But, just wondering... Where are all the gadgets that used to make life easy?




No comments: